Pages

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Goals and Paperbacks

I admit it, I'm one of those nerds.

Lists? Yes please.  

And then to make it worse, years ago our Field Director gave us a good pep talk on goal setting and an hour alone. My New Years have never been the same.

So last year I set many goals including reading 12 books. Hey! I met one of my goals! I have set some really unrealistic goals in my day.

Here it is:

My Book List from 2012

Sun Stand Still -Steven Furtick
Great way to kick off my year. That dude made my prayers look really lame. Steve told me to step it up, esp when I pray for my kids. Loved the book!

7: An Experimental Mutiny Against Excess -Jen Hatmaker
I found another hero. This crazy lady took 7 areas of excess in her own life and took a month to deal with each. Going 30 days with a wardrobe of 7 items, 30 days eating only 7 foods... the girl deserves herohood. Plus she's an adoptive mom. Her fate is sealed. 5 stars!

Left to Tell: Discovering God Amidst the Rwandan Holocaust  -Imaculee Ilibagiza and Steve Erwin
Fascinating read about a teenager hiding in a tiny bathroom with 7 other women for 3 whole months (!!) while people were trying to find them and kill them. And how she connected with God during that nightmare. Great story!

Enemies of the Heart -Andy Stanley
I love listening to the guy teach and discovered he's also a good writer. Who would have thought it? He dug into the emotions of guilt, anger, greed and jealousy. Very very good stuff. One of those books everyone could benefit from.

Culture of Honor -Danny Silk
It was an eye-opener for me. (One of the pastors of Bethel Church, he also wrote Loving Our Kids on Purpose.) They have this great attitude of honor that I want to learn. There almost isn't even a way to summarize what he teaches, it was beautiful and gracious and looked like God to me. Loved it!

Shattered Dreams: My Life as a Polygamist's Wife -Irene Spencer
I couldn't put it down! Very interesting memoir about a woman who was #2 of 9, married as a teenager, lived in poverty and eventually found the truth. Yea! I think I cried at the end, it was that good!

Anything -Jennie Allen
This normal mom in Normalville, USA decided to tell God she would do anything for him. Goodbye Average; hello Adventure! A great inspiring read!

The Priest's Graveyard -Ted Dekker 
I am a Dekker fan and so I loved it! Not quite as creepy as you would think a priest murdering people would be. With a redemptive ending of course. I think I read it in 36 hours and it is one. fat. book. So ya know it's good.

No Longer a Slumdog -KP Yohannan 
The bleak life of Indian kids living in the garbage dump and popularized by the movie Slumdog Millionaire, is true. Darn it. I so wish it weren't so. The book sheds light on why these kids exist, why the name Slumdog and what can be done for them. A hard read for obvious reasons. I still loved it.

Compelled by Love -Heidi Baker 
AAAAA! I love that lady so much! Maybe some girl crush going on. This was the first of her books I read. And then reread. How can you not like stories of God doing miraculous things for desperate people in Africa thru humble people standing in the dirt?? 5 stars. Or maybe 6.

Girl Soldier: A Story of Hope for Northern Ugandan's Children -Grace Akallo and Faith McDonnall
Remember hearing about Joseph Kony, military leader in Uganda? This is a true story about one of the young girls he kidnapped to help fight his war and her miraculous escape. Lots of Ugandan history, lots of heartbreak. It is written by two Jesus-loving ladies so it has great hope splashed through it.

Rescuing Ambition -Dave Harvey
This one took me months to get through. It had a lot of great ideas stuffed into every page. That was probably one of the reasons I worked so slowly on it. Ambition doesn't have to look selfish and greedy, it can actually be full of God and used for his stuff. At least that's what I got out of it. 4 stars.

Twelve. I did it!

I want to do it again this year. Any recommendations for great books? I love a challenge and love to be kicked in the butt. I also enjoy a good novel and memoir too. What are you reading?

“Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body.” 
– Sir Richard Steele

No comments:

Post a Comment